Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hit or Miss...

That's seems to be Nico's behavior lately, and it's wearing me down. When he's in a good mood he is just so darn cute and precious. But when he has been screaming for 20 minutes non-stop, every other 20 minutes, all day long, I often find myself thinking "How do I have any hair left right now?!" Of course, the fits are becoming more pronounced, louder, longer and more often during the day. Yesterday was no exception. We decided to take a little car ride downtown after lunch. Took a nice walk around the marina by Sea Port Village. It was enjoyable up to the point where I made the mistake of taking Nico out of the stroller. Well, all he wanted to do was push the stroller. I let him for a few minutes, but then it was time to start heading back. That didn't go over so well with him and he let us know. I must say this is the first time he has ever thrown a major fit in public. It came with ear-piercing, spine-tingling, face-cringing, screaming, plus tears, and the board stiffening posture. Poor Vito, he was really embarrassed. Not that I wasn't, but if we were both worried about all the people standing there staring at us, then there would have been no one to take care of the little alien baby I was holding. So we tried to turn the corner in between some buildings. I guess I was hoping to be a little less obvious. But, it didn't matter. Vito had been trying to get Nico buckled into the stroller, but because Nico kept acting like a stiff board it was becoming increasingly difficult and I think the tension was just becoming unbearable for both. It was at that exact moment that I made this decision and stated it out loud "We have to strap him in. I really don't give a ____(insert explicative here) about anyone else right now." There you have it. And I really didn't. AND had anyone said one word or rolled their eyes for me to catch...they would probably have walked away the ones crying. I think I realized that all of those people had the option/chance to walk away and not have to hear him. But did they consider that WE couldn't just walk away, and now we had to listen to it for half of the walk back?! Like that was something we were looking forward to. Also, if Vito and I really weren't making a valid attempt to try and calm him down and control him, then I would expect the undeserved snickers, etc. So as my favorite comedienne Kathy Griffin would say "Suck it!" I feel better now. I really needed to get that off of my chest. Especially since there have been so many tantrums lately. Oh it is just so mentally exhausting. But that is probably one of the main reasons we stay home so much, so that the rest of society doesn't have to deal with it. Believe me, I cannot stand hearing an out of control child. What makes it worse is when the parents do absolutely nothing. If you are making at least half an attempt I might not think nasty things in my head. That's part of why Vito and I will get up and go if Nico's behavior gets to that point. Anyway, as I sit here and write this, the Little Man himself is side-stepping over to me with the cutest grin on his face. It's just about enough to make me forget all about yesterday...at least for now.



In other news, Vito and I went to the Jack Johnson concert this weekend. It was fun. My first concert since I was 19. Just about as long for Vito. His set was a little shorter than I would have hoped for, but I am already dying to go back to any concert that interests me! Summer is quickly and obviously coming to an end. So sad. But that is the beauty of living in Southern California...the weather, no matter what season, is never bad! I'm totally excited about all the new shows on TV starting. Last night we watched Prison Break. I think next week are when more shows start....Grey's, Housewives. Not sure what I'm so super excited about, but let's hope it's worth it! I can think of more to go on about, but gotta go get the baby off of the toy chest!

No comments: